Monday, February 15, 2010

The South Comes To East Van, Y'all


I want my baby back baby back baby back,
I want my baby back baby back baby back,
Chili's Baby Back Ribs.

Ok, so I'm not making baby back ribs, nor am I dining at Chili's and I never have. But, I am making chili from scratch! Woo! One snafu though: I didn't realize until I got home that the Old El Paso Chili Seasoning packet that I bought wasn't in my grocery bag and I didn't actually even purchase it. It might still be all on its lonesome in the basket next to the self-serve cashier I used. A moment of silence please. A moment of silence.

Anyways, I am going to have to improvize tonight-that's what cooking and life is all about!-so I'm using salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, and cayenne pepper instead. Which incidentally is pretty much the extent of my spice collection, beyond two unopened packets of thyme and bay leaves. Tomorrow I will make a real Southern meal: chili (probably leftover from tonight), cornbread, and collard greens. I'm so psyched.

I actually wanted to make the cornbread tonight, but I didn't have enough money for baking powder and I wasn't astute enough to just borrow a couple tablespoons from my mum today. Oh well. Tomorrow.

Alright, off to make the chili. I will report back with results. Hold your breath. (Actually don't because who needs to hold their breath for chili? It's impossible to muck up. Maybe wait in suspense instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment