Thursday, February 18, 2010

Preparing for a battle? Drink this.



Alright, so it won't get you jacked up like Red Bull or 'roids for that matter, but let's be honest, neither is good for you. This, however, this elixir, ambrosial drink, was thought to do it for you for ancient South American warriors. And they knew a thing or two about building dominant civilizations and fighting bloody battles. The drink: Drinking Chocolate. Not to be mournfully confused with hot chocolate, especially the instant powder-boiling water nightmare-inducing North American drivel. This is the real shit, drunk in Mexico, Latin & South American countries, Spain, and other Mediterranean countries who know their chocolate.

There are different variations in making drinking chocolate-some ask for cream, some ask for white sugar, others brown sugar, others still different-but you will always need these four ingredients: dark chocolate, cocoa powder, sugar, and milk/water. Now, I can't imagine making it with water. Some find it too rich with the milk, but I think that could only be the case if you used Homo milk, which I haven't drunk in over five years and before that probably the same. 1% works perfectly well, giving the drink its necessary richness and creaminess, but it won't render you immobile and incapable of normal brain function as a result.


I successfully made delicious drinking chocolate three times in the last two days. Not quite as rich as the drinking chocolate at 49th Parallel on Fourth, but a bigger serving and the cayenne kick put it on a level playing field. (If I may say so myself. I never said I was modest.) I may try Xoxolat's offering today when I head out to that side of town today. What a ego-stoking feeling though to know that I can make great stuff in my tiny basement kitchen that is just as good if not better than what I can get in chi-chi-boo-boo cafes in town. Stir, drink, and enjoy:



Ingredients

  • 1 oz (30 g) 69 or 70% dark chocolate (3 squares of a standard 100 g bar)
  • 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup (175 ml) milk
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper (or spice of your desire: nutmeg, cinnamon, and/or ground cloves would work)

Directions

  1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk, chocolate (break into small pieces), cocoa, and brown sugar.
  2. Once the chocolate starts to melt, gently whisk to combine ingredients.
  3. Just bring the mixture to boil.
  4. Add desired spices and whisk again until combined.
  5. Pour and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment