Saturday, August 29, 2009

Peppers, Pears, and Plums

Today I did my usual weekend shtick. Worked at the farmers' market selling cheese, trading for delicious things, lusting after the potatoes of the neighbouring vendor (purple potatoes anyone? Awesome for mashed potatoes by the way), not liking the idea that work is a necessary, unavoidable part of adult life.
But honestly, I do really like working at the farmers' markets most of the time. All the incredible produce, preserves, meat, baked goods, cheese, dips, spreads, all local and organic. Working outdoors getting delicious fresh air and some Vitamin E from the sun. And best of all, of course, trading cheese for groceries! Today I picked up a seriously gorgeous bag of organic peppers-chocolate brown and red-from Celyddon Farms, as well as a curvaceously awesome purple eggplant. Let's not forget the blackberries and pickled beans from Glenwood, a baguette (for that previously mentioned romantic picnic this coming Monday) from A Bread Affair, plums and pears, and artichoke pesto from Golda's. I consider myself ridiculously lucky to get all this food for free. Especially since if I couldn't get all this bounty for free, well, let's just say, I'd be staring at an empty fridge for breakfast, lunch, dinner, you get the point.
Being around and being so lucky to possess such incredible bounty is damn good for the soul. No doubt about it. That fried eggplant dipped in a beaten egg and parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs I just successfully made for lunch proves it. What's next? Maybe some of that leftover nutella and blueberry buckwheat crepe from La Boheme. Maybe some spaghetti alla carbonara for dinner too.

No comments:

Post a Comment